Armenian Apostolic Holy Church Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin

  • Հայերեն
  • Русский
  • Armenian Church
  • Catholicos of All Armenians
  • Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin
  • News
  • Museums
  • Donation
  • Home
  • Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin
  • Premices of the Mother See
  • Nersisyan lake (1847/1960)

Nersisyan lake (1847/1960)

Nersisyan lake  (1847/1960)

The Nersisyan artificial lake is also a result of Nerses V Ashtaraketsi’s initiatives. The supervision of the work of creating the lake is handed over to Bishop Hovhannes Shahkhatunyan. The material costs were covered by state employee Grigor Malinyants and doctor Karapet Vasnaketsi. The architecture of the lake was assigned to Martiros Vekilyantsi, Head of a military unit consisting of a thousand soldiers but after the construction, it turned out that the calculations of the architect of the lake were not correct. Alexander Naumenko was commissioned to design the new lake.

The new lake was built in 1847, has wide walls and a solid floor. According to the plan, it is rectangular. The length of the pond is about 170 m, the width is about 70 m, and the depth is 6 m.

With the reconstruction carried out in the 1960s, the Nersisyan lake was adapted to the standards of entertainment and sports training, which is why the depth of the lake was reduced, and the underwater pantry of the "Ararat" trust was created.

Armenian Apostolic Holy Church Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin

© All rights reserved

(374-10) 517-110 (374-10) 517-301 [email protected]